At BHP we support our people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential. With a global portfolio of operations, we offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. Our strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where our employees feel strongly connected to our values and objectives, and where the capability of our people is key to our success.
Come and be a part of this success.
About the Role
Reporting to the Manager – Camp & Site Services, you will support the Project capability required to deliver the West Musgrave project through the Construction phases in support of growth strategy.
The primary purpose of this role is to support the Site Services and Exploration function in the safe and efficient execution of operational and geological activities, overseeing the tasks performed of the field technicians, ensuring the adherence to standards for safety, process and QAQC.
You will work alongside a team of professional Geologists and other key stakeholder groups at Technician / Supervisory / Superintendent level within the West Musgrave Project. Above all, you will foster a culture of care for our people and community. This is a multi-disciplinary role requiring situational safety awareness at its highest level, a high level of technical and operational competence while you operate/assist in Exploration,
Construction, Open Pit and Core Shed work environments.
Your role will be based around execution of core processing and exploration sampling activities in conjunction with supporting site services in an operational capacity to maintain, inspect, analyse data, and operate site infrastructure including waste and water treatment plants.
You will play a key role in developing and strengthening a culture based on the How We Work Together (HWWT) principles and the West Musgrave
You will also communicate across the whole projects group, with local communities and Traditional Owners, supporting a transparent and proactive engagement strategy.
Leaving hierarchy at the door, you will build relationships with internal and external stakeholders and have a relentless focus on collaboration.
A champion of our How We Work Together Principles, identifying threats and opportunities is second nature. You thrive on innovation and seek out new ideas from your team and partners to create value. You will be confident to bring new thinking to old problems and challenge the status quo for a future mine site.
The position is accountable for the following Operational activities:
• Training and mentoring of Technicians to ensure all work is carried out safely and in line with industry best practises.
• Execution of daily exploration geological services through visual inspection, mapping (including photography) and sample collection at exploration drilling locations.
• Execution of daily site services including maintaining, inspecting, analysing data, and operating site utilities infrastructure (i.e., power generation, waste, and water treatment plants.)
• Effective radio communications.
• Safe operation of light vehicles
• Assisting with the management of the Exploration drilling contractor.
• Effective data collection for Geology records.
• Complying with systems of QA/QC for data collection, storage, and access.
• Completion of drill site inspections and site preparation for drill locations.
• Ensuring that operational continuity is maintained through provision of quality and timely service.
• Developing and implementing improved processes which best utilise the technician team
• Assist with core processing duties in the Coreshed when required, including:
o Geotechnical measurements,
o Core Photography,
o Core Cutting,
o Specific Gravity Measurements,
o Sample collection,
o Sample dispatch,
o Core storage
• Highlight any opportunities or downside risks associated with daily geological and site services activities.
• Assisting the Geology and Site Services team in establishment of new and maintaining of existing safe working practices and procedures.
• Provide First Aid (HLTAID003).
• Current C class drivers’ licence.
• Practical working knowledge of all Microsoft Suite of products.
• Ability to work in remote settings during harsh weather conditions.
• Demonstrated ability to train and mentor junior staff
• Exceptional eye for detail with the ability to read and interpret grid maps and reference numbers
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including report writing and presentation delivery.
• Ability to work independently.
• High sense of responsibility and initiative.
• An honest and trustworthy professional, capable of delivering difficult messages during times of change.
At BHP, we are committed to employing individuals who align with the BHP Charter Values and meet the requirements of the role. As part of the recruitment process, there are a number of checks which may be conducted to demonstrate applicants suitability for a role including police / criminal background checks, medical, drug and alcohol testing, due diligence checks, right to work checks, and/or reference checks.
If you are already employed directly by BHP, please log in using your BHP email address or apply via our internal jobs portal.
The size, stability and magnitude of our business not only provides significant opportunity for professional development, but also attractive salary packages with performance-based bonuses and a best-in-class employee share program. We know there are many aspects of our employees' lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
At BHP, we know that we are strengthened by diversity. We are an Equal Opportunity employer that is committed to making BHP a safe and inclusive workplace where everyone can thrive and be at their best every day. We are focused on creating a workforce that’s more diverse and represents the communities where we work and live. providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect. We are an Equal Opportunity employer and recognise that true diversity includes gender, age, race, disability status, sexual orientation, religion, neurodiversity, education levels, and many more aspects of your identity.
BHP is committed to providing a recruitment process that is fair, equitable and accessible for all. If you have a disability, we know that it may be helpful for us to adjust our process to make it equitable for your individual situation. If you would like to reach out to someone about your situation and our recruitment process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.